Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bananas for Yonanas

So, I'm officially bananas for Yonanas.

What exactly is Yonanas, you might be thinking?

Yonanas doesn't really sparkle, it doesn't really shine, it isn't glittery, and it isn't pink.  But I love it.

Yonanas is a kitchen appliance that makes frozen-yogurt-like deserts from frozen bananas.

I'm a child of fro-yo.  Remember Penguin's frozen yogurt?  I got yogurt there A LOT when I was younger.  Yummy yogurt, yummy toppings.  Yum Yum Yum.  More recently, I've become obsessed with PinkBerry, TuttiMelon, and a hand full of other local Fro-Yo shops.  I'm a huge fan of the signature "tart" flavor with rainbow sprinkles, blueberries, and mango.  Occasionally, I'll add in some "crack cookies" as my friends call them - the pink and white circus animal cookies from Mother's.  Super yum.

But all of that Fro-Yo comes at a pretty high caloric cost.  Now, I generally try to eat pretty healthily and take good care of myself.  So, when I read in some magazine a little snippet about Yonanas, I was very much intrigued.

I looked up Yonanas on-line (click here).

It seemed a little gimmick-y - after all it is one of those "as seen on TV" gadgets.

But it also seemed like it could really be super yum!

I eat a banana almost every day along with strawberries, blueberries, and sometimes blackberries mixed in with some Kashi Go Lean Crunch, ground flax, and nonfat plain Greek yogurt.  Super yum.

So, turning frozen bananas into fro-yo seemed like something I would like very much since I already like bananas, and I absolutely love fro-yo.

As it turns out Yonanas is available at your friendly, local Bed, Bath & Beyond stores, and if you are like me, you have a ton of 20% off coupons lying around, it isn't all that cost prohibitive. (about $49.99 less the coupon discount).

So, I liberated one of the Yonanas contraptions this weekend, got some frozen blueberries, some chocolate, and some ripe bananas, and tried it out.

First - it is very noisy.

Second - it is very easy to use.

Third - it creates a very tasty treat.

It comes with a little recipe book, but really sky's the limit in terms of what kind of fruit to use, and what other additions to include.

So, what does it taste like, you may be wondering...

Well, it doesn't taste overtly banana-ish.  The bananas serve as the base of the faux fro-yo, and the other fruit you add in makes the flavor.

I made mine with blueberries.  (By the way, for those of you who follow points on weight watchers - bananas and most other fruit are zero points - yes, zero points.)

I made some for my boyfriend with frozen grapes, and some chocolate-peanut butter.

Both were super YUM!

My boyfriend was a little sad when I packed up my yonanas to bring home with me this afternoon.  He admitted to actually wanting one of his own...

Bottom line.  If you like fro-yo, but want a lower-calorie healthier alternative, Yonanas just might be the thing for you.

You can read some other reviews on the Bed, Bath & Beyond site and on on Amazon.com.

I'm definitely a fan.  I'm bananas for Yonanas! (And, no, I'm not a paid lobbyist for Yonanas).

What would you mix with your Yonanas?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment